Light & Water

  1. Spotlight
  2. Latest News
  3. Calendar


The winter outlook favors warmer temperatures for much of the country, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), with drought conditions likely to persist across portions of Southern California. The NOAA estimates that even if there’s a 70-75% chance that an El Niño develops in late fall or early winter, it’s likely to be a weak El Niño, meaning it’s less likely to bring higher than average rainfall in Southern California.

77% of the water used in the San Gabriel Valley is local groundwater; the remaining 23% is imported from Northern California and the Colorado River. Local groundwater are near historic low levels and are only at 20% of capacity as a result of the persistent drought. Given the variability of rainfall in Southern California, it is important to emphasize the importance of water conservation by residents and businesses.

The watering schedule will change to two days per week from November through March.

Winter Months 
(November through March)
      Even Address  Thursday, Sunday
      Odd Address  Wednesday, Saturday
Commercial/HOA  Monday, Friday

Watering by a hand-held hose with a positive shut-off nozzle, a bucket or watering can; a rain barrel; a drip irrigation system; or reclaimed, recycled or gray wastewater may be done on any day.

All mandatory water conservation measures (Water Rule 21) will continue to be enforced, including:

• No excess runoff
• No watering between 9 AM to 6 PM
• Watering is limited to 30 minutes per location per day
• No washing down hardscape
• Vehicle handwashing only with bucket and hose with positive shutoff nozzle
• No watering during rain events or 48 hours afterwards

In order to facilitate recharge of the local groundwater basin in preparation for future water shortage periods, water users shall actively seek to limit the total water usage to an amount equal to or less than the corresponding month of the prior year.


Water Rule 21
Rebates and Drought Resources