Things You Should Know to Start a Business

City Clearances & Licenses
  • Proper zoning designation is required for business operations within the City of Azusa.
  • A business license (business tax receipt) is required.
  • Building permits are required for construction / remodeling.
  • Electrical, plumbing, mechanical, and/or fire permits may be required.
  • Permits may be required for use / storage / handling of chemicals, or sites with toxic problems.

County, State, & Federal Clearances & Licenses
  • Businesses may be required to file a fictitious business name with the County (unless a corporation).
  • Corporations are required to file with the state.
  • Retailers, wholesales, and manufacturers must obtain permits from the State Board of Equalization.
  • Some professions / businesses require state licenses.
  • The IRS and the State Employment Development Department require that certain forms be filed if employees will be hired.
  • Knowledge and understanding of the California Occupational Safety and Health Act is recommended.