All electric utilities in the State of California are required to charge State Energy Tax. This is used to fund the California Energy Commission. The California Energy Commission is the state’s primary energy policy agency. It was created in 1974 to:
- Forecast future energy needs and keep historical energy data
- Promote energy efficiency through appliance and building standards
- Develop energy technologies and support renewable energy
- Plan for and direct state response to energy emergencies
- Oversee Public Benefit Fund programs
Find out more about the California Energy Commission.